Subject: Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Thursday, February 10, 2000
Paula Sagerman <redfish [at] together__net> writes

>The Brattleboro Historical Society (VT, USA) would like to use part
>of an old barn for storage of archival materials if there is a way
>to protect the materials from deterioration.  We have paper,
>textiles, furniture, etc.  In order to protect the building
>envelope, we are considering building a "box within a box" using
>insulated, sheet-rocked walls and ceiling.  However, there will not
>be any climate control. Are any materials safe in this situation?

In lieu of complete climate control, would there be an advantage to
just retaining control over the humidity (leaving the temperature to
vary)? The Micro Climate Generator is designed for this task
(usually in one or more display cases). The MCG provides a positive
flow of air at constant humidity, automatically compensating for
changes in temperature. As there is no "return" flow, a less than
perfect seal is perfectly adequate.

A well insulated and sealed room with such a device would provide
some protection. Unlike an air conditioner, power demands are small.
More information is available on our web site: www.gowncare.com

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 16, 2000