Subject: Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

From: Carlos Mijares <ed_marco_polo>
Date: Thursday, February 10, 2000
Paula Sagerman <redfish [at] together__net> writes

>The Brattleboro Historical Society (VT, USA) would like to use part
>of an old barn for storage of archival materials if there is a way
>to protect the materials from deterioration.  We have paper,
>textiles, furniture, etc.  In order to protect the building
>envelope, we are considering building a "box within a box" using
>insulated, sheet-rocked walls and ceiling.  However, there will not
>be any climate control. Are any materials safe in this situation?

We have had good results, in Mexico and Central America where
environmental control is not affordable to most institutions, using
polypropylene boxes with a desiccant. This solution provides a
significant amount of protection against humidity, UV radiation,
insect infestation and physical damage within an inert microclimate.

Due the properties of the polypropylene corrugated sheets they can
be adapted to fit exact measures and protection requirements of a
wide variety of materials of cultural value. It has became a common
preservation option in most of the archives, libraries and museums
around.

However it will be of great importance to consider the specific
preservation requirements of each material to design the box
accordingly. If you are interested we can provide you with further
information.

Carlos Mijares
Editorial Marco Polo, S.A. de C.V
Pdte. Carranza #83-B, Coyoacan
C.P. 04000, Mexico, D.F. City
+52 56 58 33 17
Fax: 56 58 38 11

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 16, 2000