Subject: Chlorides

Chlorides

From: Kristin Huld Sigurdardottir <k.h.sigurdardottir>
Date: Friday, February 4, 2000
I am a conservator student at the University og Oslo, Norway, and
will this spring write a thesis on preventive conservation at a
museum in Molde, northwest in Norway.

As part of the thesis, I would like to do some tests on the amount
of chlorides in the air, as the museum has major corrosion problems
on iron, due to chlorides. Parts of the museum is situated right by
the shore, and the high tide enters the buildings at least once a
year during winter. Other parts of the museum are situated about
500m from the shore, at 50 meters above sea level. RH is fluctuating
both in the storage areas and in the exhibition rooms, as there is
no RH controlling equipment in the museum. I would like to do tests
on the amount of chlorides in the air in exhibition and storage
areas, and salt deposition on the artefacts. Testing equipment is
available, but I was wondering:

    Has anyone done tests like these anywhere else?

    Do there exist any "recommended values" or "upper limits" on the
    amount of chlorides in the air in museums?

I hope that if anyone has any experience on this, they will let me
know.

Solveig Sandvik
Conservator student, Oslo

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 9, 2000