Subject: Projectile points

Projectile points

From: Jeff Illingworth <laphroiag>
Date: Monday, February 7, 2000
Having just read Ines Silva's questions, (Conservation DistList
Instance: 13:42 Wednesday, February 2, 2000), about an avocational
lithic collection recently donated to the Fort Collins Museum, I am
surprised that the museum has not had to deal with such things
before. Regardless, though, of the presence of museum protocols for
such a situation the key thing, from an archaeological perspective,
is the "provenience" information about the artifacts. Whether the
museum decides to leave the collection "as is," decides to remount
it, or what ever, the information about the artifacts on the tags
should be preserved. Beyond this, I would recommend either actually
loaning this collection to a reputable archaeological institute for
full analysis or, at the very least, make them aware of its
existence as this sort of data can be useful for regional surveys
and the like. If you have any further questions, please fill free to
contact me.

J. S. Illingworth
Analyst and Conservator
Mercyhurst Archaeological Institute
Erie, PA  16546
814-824-2581
Fax: 814-824-2594

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 9, 2000