Subject: Storing photographic materials

Storing photographic materials

From: Karen Brown <kebrown>
Date: Thursday, February 3, 2000
Joice Himawan <jhimawan [at] masshist__org> writes

>Our Associate Librarian remembers reading a fairly recent
>publication from NEDCC (technical notes type of thing) that says it
>is okay to use *buffered* tissue for interleaving and folders for
>storing photographs.  Since this is *not* the conventional wisdom
>that I'm familiar with, I'd like to know (a) if this is true?  And
>(b) if anybody can give me the reference info for this publication,
>I'd appreciate it.

The article in question is "STORAGE ENCLOSURES FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC
MATERIALS," by Gary Albright.  This technical leaflet is available
online at <URL:http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf411.htm>.  Gary
recommends that your enclosures should meet the specifications ANSI
Standard IT 9.2-1998. Enclosures should pass the Photographic
Activity Test (ANSI NAPM IT9.16-1993). In fact, some archival
catalogs now mention if materials being sold have passed the PAT.

Preliminary research at the Image Permanence Institute indicates
that buffered enclosures (pH between 7.5-9-5) are not harmful to
photographs. Perhaps you could contact them if you require further
details.
I hope this is helpful,

Karen E.K. Brown
Field Service Representative
NEDCC

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 9, 2000