Subject: Vitaux

Vitaux

From: Jorgen Wadum <wadum.j>
Date: Friday, January 28, 2000
I'm posting this for a colleague in Denmark:

    When were the framer and gilder Vitaux, Toulouse, France active?

    On the back of a probably Dutch or French late 17th or 18th
    century painting signed "D. oudrie(?)" showing 'A Dog Fighting
    Cats' we on the very loosely woven canvas (still on its original
    stretcher) found  the impression of a stamp with the form of a
    flat oval. Inside the flat, horizontally positioned oval a text
    in capitals is found which reads:

        VITAUX
        ENCADREUR
        ET DOREUR
        TOULOISE

    Can anyone help identifying the framer from Toulouse, when he
    was active and if his stamp was found on other canvases? If so
    it would help us greatly in tracing the paintings whereabouts
    and place it in time.

    Karin Lykke, Conservator of paintings,
    Kobbelvangsvej 11A,
    3630 Jaegerspris,
    Denmark,
    Fax: +45 47 50 10 40

Jorgen Wadum, Chief Conservator, Royal Cabinet of
Paintings Mauritshuis

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000