Subject: Microscope slides

Microscope slides

From: Hilary Wright <hilarymwright>
Date: Thursday, February 3, 2000
I have a collection of some 400 microscope slides. Dating from
around 1900 we think, they are UK in origin and are mostly botanical
specimens. All are labelled and there is a microscope of a similar
date. Though most appear to be in good condition, only a few being
cracked, the mounting media has yellowed. Can anyone help me with
the following? How can you identify which mounting medium was used?
Can the slide glass type, or the label or the writing help with
dating them more accurately?

Is remounting the best option? (good question of conservation ethics
here!)

If remounting is considered then what medium is advised for best
ageing qualities?

This is a small research project for my Masters degree at the
University of Western Sydney, Australia. Any suggestions or pointers
to papers etc will be welcomed and replied to. There seems very
little on this subject and I am wondering if there are many such
collections languishing in museums and private hands.

Hilary Wright

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000