Subject: Removing chloride from enameled metal

Removing chloride from enameled metal

From: Howard B. Wellman <wellman>
Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2000
We have in our lab a piece of an enameled iron-alloy kettle,
recovered from sediments in a brackish marine estuary.  There is
iron staining on the enameled surface, and chloride corrosion of the
iron.  I'd like advice on how to remove the chlorides without
damaging the enamel surface, which would likely be attacked by any
of the alkaline reduction methods, or by electrolytic reduction.

Howard Wellman
Lead Conservator
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
410-586-8577
Fax: 410-586-3643

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000