Subject: Cork and moss

Cork and moss

From: Angelika Rauch <angelika.rauch>
Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2000
The object I am working on at the moment is a temple made of cork,
decorated with a lot of mossy plants. The temple wasn't covered for
many years and is very dusty. To clean the cork is not the problem.
The moss has denatured, it has lost its elasticity and breaks into
very small pieces when you even breath to heavily. I can't clean the
moss without fixing it. But I don't know a fixing method which
allows to take away the dust afterwards. Someone told me that
gelatine spray could be the answer. Another suggestion was glycerin.
Can anybody help me?

Dipl.-Rest. Angelika Rauch M.A.
Kunsthistorikerin
Restauratorin fur Holzobjekte

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000