Subject: Rubber cement

Rubber cement

From: Michael Maggen <consres>
Date: Monday, January 31, 2000
Anne Coco <acoco [at] oscars__org> writes

>We have in our possession a script from the early 1970s which was
>illustrated with sketches.  The sketches are on separate pieces of
>paper and were glued into the script using what appears to have been
>rubber cement.

Cleaning the rubber cement with acetone is an option however it
might be worth trying to remove the glue residues with MEK using a
suction disk. MEK will evaporate slower than acetone and it could
dissolve the glue residues from the paper with more efficiency. As
for adhering the sketches back into their original places, sometimes
a thick Klucel (in water) would do what paste or MC fails to.
Another option is to use a heat set tissue (thermoplastic)
 technique Japanese paper saturated with Plexisol
550 or Mowilith or Paraloid-B 72.

Michael Maggen,
Head of Paper Conservation Dept.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem,
POB 71117, Jerusalem 91710, Israel.
+972 2 6711894 (w)
+972 2 6711894 (h)
Fax: +972 2 563 3732

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000