Subject: Coatings for outdoor sculpture

Coatings for outdoor sculpture

From: Ines Silva <nikopol>
Date: Thursday, February 3, 2000
Isabel M. Coryat <impa [at] valstar__net> writes

>George Hagerty <ghagerty [at] mfa__org> writes
>
>>I'm in the process of researching any new coatings that people may
>>know of, have tried, or can direct me to publications about for the
>>protection of outdoor sculpture composed of cast iron.
>
>...  Last but not least, I found a very
>intriguing note on Paul W. Bartlett hand written notes (copies of
>which I have on my files) referring to iron, and I quote "the Bower
>Borff process is a method of turning iron permanently black and
>rendering it rustless".

As the name you mentioned didn't sound strange to me I contacted my
school's  library and I got this answer (that I'm going to reviw
myself):

    Matero, Frank G.
    Conservation of architectural metalwork: historical approaches
    to the surface treatment of iron.
    In Ancient and historic metals: conservation and scientific
    research: proceedings of a symposium organized by the J. Paul
    Getty Museum and the Getty Conservation Institute, November
    1991. Pp.197-228

Ines Silva
Conservation student

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000