Subject: Paintings on glass

Paintings on glass

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2000
I want to thank Mr. Caldararo for his discussion of the use of a
"new" adhesive for reverse paintings on glass, certainly one of the
last places I would like to see an untested adhesive used.  (And for
livening up the list, which seems to have gotten very staid
recently.) I understand the use of untested materials when none of
the usual suspects will work, and when an object is in critical
condition, but I do not understand why this kind of thing should
seem like a good idea to anyone.

In any case, I have a technical question about the something that
came up during the discussion--the issue of matching refractive
index.  I understand that when one is adhering broken glass, the
match in refractive index assures a less visible join.  However,
when the adhesive will be bonding paint to the glass, is this an
issue?  My experience with readhering paint in glass paintings is
that the important consideration in the appearance of the
paint-to-glass bond is the elimination of air.  Can someone
enlighten me?

B. Appelbaum

                Distributed: Wednesday, February 2, 2000