Subject: Rubber cement

Rubber cement

From: Anne Coco <acoco>
Date: Friday, January 21, 2000
We have in our possession a script from the early 1970s which was
illustrated with sketches.  The sketches are on separate pieces of
paper and were glued into the script using what appears to have been
rubber cement.  Now, years later, the sketches are popping off their
pages.  The sketch paper is very stiff almost like vellum in
texture.

We've performed one test one page, using acetone to remove excess
adhesive residue.  This appears to have worked fine.  However, the
problem is in re-adhering the sketches.  The sketch paper doesn't
absorb moisture very well and therefore the sketches only partially
adhere to the script page.

    1.  Is acetone okay to use as a remover for rubber cement
        in this case? and

    2.  The wheat starch paste which we were planning to use to
        re-adhere the sketches seems to be repelled by the residue
        of the rubber cement or the composition of the sketch paper.
        Can anyone explain why this is happening and of a more
        practical nature, can anyone suggest an alternative adhesive
        to the wheat starch paste?

Anne Coco and Katie Moran

Anne Coco
Graphic Arts Librarian
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Margaret Herrick Library
333 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA  90211
310-247-3036, ext. 274