Subject: Coatings for outdoor sculpture

Coatings for outdoor sculpture

From: Isabel M. Coryat <impa>
Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2000
George Hagerty <ghagerty [at] mfa__org> writes

>I'm in the process of researching any new coatings that people may
>know of, have tried, or can direct me to publications about for the
>protection of outdoor sculpture composed of cast iron.

I am testing some products from

    Cortec Corp
    4119 White Bear Parkway
    St. Paul, MN 55110 U.S.A.
    651-429-1100
    Fax: 651-429-1122
    1-800-4-CORTEC 1-800-426-7832)
    <info [at] cortecvci__com>
    <URL:http://www.cortecvci.com/>

I talked to Mike Donahue and Tina Weaver. They have an extensive
line of products appropriate for different situations.  My tests are
focused on preserving the rusted color on the surface but stopping
the destructive quality of oxidation. Have not yet finish my tests
but the products have promise. Cortec will send you catalogs, data
sheets and samples. Other product I am investigating is an oil from
Vulcan Oil 513-242-2511 Bill Downs at 513-242-2672 it is called
SinvulcoXP2 it leaves a tacky surface at first but it dries to the
touch after a month or so. Again, I have not finish my tests so I
will not venture an opinion in their effectiveness, but you may want
to try them. CCI (Canadian Conservation Institute) publishes
technical notes on diverse subjects Notes 9/1; 9/6 & 9/8 deal with
treatments for cast iron. Last but not least, I found a very
intriguing note on Paul W. Bartlett hand written notes (copies of
which I have on my files) referring to iron, and I quote "the Bower
Borff process is a method of turning iron permanently black and
rendering it rustless". I have not been able to find any reference
to the said process, but I am still very curious. I would be
interested in hearing your impression of these products if you decide
to try them Sincerely,

Isabel M. Coryat
Conservator

                Distributed: Thursday, January 27, 2000