Subject: William Berwick

William Berwick

From: Christine Smith <capi>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000
In the course of a complex conservation treatment of silked
manuscript pages, I have become interested to learn as much as
possible about William Berwick, who was the Master Restorer at the
Library of Congress between 1899 and his death in 1920.  During that
time he seems to have silked documents for other institutions, such
as Philadelphia's American Philosophical Society.  I would
appreciate any leads to information or photographs about Berwick and
am interested in both his professional and personal history.

He was born in London, worked for several years at the Toronto
Public Library, and then at Michigan's state printing office in
Lansing. In 1897 he was appointed Bookbinder in the U.S. Government
Printing Office in Washington, DC, and from there he went to the
Library of Congress.

I know little more than this and would appreciate any information,
however trivial it may seem.

Christine Smith
Conservation of Art on Paper, Inc.
2805 Mount Vernon Avenue