Subject: Batteries

Batteries

From: Barry Knight <barry.knight>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000
One of my colleagues is responsible for a collection of Second World
War/Cold War equipment, some of which contains lead-acid batteries.
For safety reasons, he has emptied out the sulphuric acid, but he is
concerned that if the batteries are left dry the lead plates will
corrode or disintegrate.

Suggestions we have had so far are either to refill the batteries
with distilled water, or to pour lacquer into them so as to coat all
the internal surfaces.  Has anyone had to deal with this problem?
What solution did you come up with, and how successful was it?

Barry Knight
English Heritage
London
+44 171 973 3000