Subject: Removing adhesive residues

Removing adhesive residues

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2000
On behalf of Valerie Lemorvanl, Catherine Dumas
<catherine.dumas [at] bnf__fr> writes

>    I am restoring several printed book (ca. 1863). Pages were
>    repaired with adhesive tapes. All tapes were removed by means of
>    different solvents or by scraping off by means of a scalpel.

It may be worth to check if the glue residues can be enough soften
to be removed by longer time  exposures to organic solvent fumes
(Methylene chloride, MEK, chloroform etc.). This can be done by
placing upside down a glass cup containing an absorbent paper or
cotton saturated with the organic solvent on the treated area. I`m
using an absorbant paper which was folded as concertina at the
bottom of the glass, though, strong organic solvents as were
recommended can sometimes effect printed ink and it must be done
very carefully.

Michael Maggen
Head of Paper Conservation Dept.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem