Subject: Removing adhesive residues

Removing adhesive residues

From: Catherine Dumas <catherine.dumas>
Date: Tuesday, January 4, 2000
The following is posted on behalf of Valerie Lemorvan

    I am restoring several printed book (ca. 1863). Pages were
    repaired with adhesive tapes. All tapes were removed by means of
    different solvents or by scraping off by means of a scalpel. But
    for the obstinate residues I have no efficient solution, some
    pages remain sticky. In the last issue of "Restaurator", 1999,
    no. 3 et 4, p. 188 German restorers have used an unknown product
    (unknown for me) it is named Attapulgite, a magnesium silicate
    moistened with ethyl acetate for removing adhesive residue. It
    seems very time consuming but it works. I Would appreciate
    hearing from anyone who has experienced this? Every suggestion
    for a safe and reversible method for removing tapes will be
    appreciate. Thankfully yours.

    Valerie Lemorvan
    Restorer Bibliotheque Nationale de France
    Service Restauration
    58, rue de Richelieu
    75084 Paris CEDEX 02

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 5, 2000