Subject: Byne

Byne

From: Morten Ryhl-Svendsen <morten.ryhl>
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2000
    author.

For a paper I'm about to write I would like to find information about
the person L. St.G. Byne.

Byne wrote the classic paper: "The Corrosion of Shells in Cabinets"
in Journal of Conchology, vol. 9/6, in 1899, which described the
type of deterioration on calcium carbonate structures (like
seashells) today known as "Bynes disease" (or more correctly "Bynes
efflorescence"). This is just about what I know, but I would be
grateful if someone knows about his life etc. I'm also searching for
a copy of a portrait or picture of him. I can be contacted off list
at: morten.ryhl [at] get2net__dk By the way, I'm also interested in
reports/stories of occurrences of Bynes efflorescence in
collections.

Morten Ryhl-Svendsen
Konservatorskolen (The School of Conservation)
Det Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi
Esplanaden 34, DK-1263 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Fax: +45 33 74 47 77

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 5, 2000