Subject: Sailcloth

Sailcloth

From: Janine Wardius <janine>
Date: Tuesday, January 4, 2000
Does anyone have a current source for a very wide (about 2.5 meters)
synthetic lining canvas? We prefer a somewhat stiff polyester
sailcloth-like material because of the painting's size (254 x 210
cm) and since the painting has old tears and seams. Products like
Boeing gasket material (heat-shrunk polyester, Bainbridge) and 1691A
(heat-pressed, Richard Hayward and Co., UK) have good qualities but
unfortunately are not available in wide widths. Pe-cap 7-260 and
Lascaux polyester lining canvas come wide enough but are less stiff
and perhaps not as strong as sailcloth. We plan to use Beva 371 as
the relining adhesive since we are removing an old wax-resin lining.

Janine Wardius
Paintings Conservator
Bergen Museum of Art
Rasmus Meyers Alle 3