Subject: Digital storage material and time capsules

Digital storage material and time capsules

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Sunday, December 26, 1999
I'm offering a commercial "time capsule" service to the general
public (see <URL://http://www.timekit.com/> for more information). I
would like to recommend a means of storing electronic media
(primarily videos) that will not only survive physically, but will
also be readable in the future.

My uninformed guess is that DVD is the way to go. I understand the
discs are relatively stable, and the number of machines and discs
soon to be released onto the market should guarantee a relatively
long currency (and lots of antique machines in the distant future).
Please correct me if I'm wrong! Any estimates of the useable life of
a DVD (including the software) would be appreciated.

If someone was to store data, what format would be most likely
readable in the (not-terribly-distant) future. I would think that
ASCII text files in PC format might be a good bet. Again, I believe
the sheer ubiquity of the PC might keep the format alive for a
relatively long time, but please correct me.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems &
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
Toronto, Ontario