Subject: Not-for-profit status

Not-for-profit status

From: Kenneth P. Eschete <k-eschete>
Date: Saturday, December 4, 1999
Is it possible for a non-profit institution to raise revenue by
performing conservation treatments for other institutions, without
threatening the non-profit status?  I understand this is being done
in some for-profit institutions.  Conservation treatments are
provided to other institutions at a rate that is higher than the
cost of treatment, and the extra money is used to help support
conservation treatment on their own objects.

We would like to start a program like this at my institution, but
there are fears that it will endanger our non-profit status.  I
would be very happy to hear from anyone who has already solved this
problem.

    **** Moderator's comments: In responding, please bear in mind
    that the DistList is an international forum; national laws and
    international agreements may be significant here. Also, I'll
    welcome responses that address other issues than the legality of
    doing this kind of work (e.g. effect on the local institution,
    fairness, etc.)

Kenneth P. Eschete
Northwestern University
Evanston IL