Subject: Printer inks

Printer inks

From: Debbie Nelson <dlnelso3>
Date: Friday, December 3, 1999
Sally Woodcock <sally [at] sawoodcock__freeserve__co__uk> writes

>... Has anyone any
>sources of information on the longevity of modern laser or ink-jet
>printing inks?  It would be interesting to find out how they compare
>to photographic colour prints or other methods of reproduction.  Are
>some colours more or less fugitive than others?

Yesterday I just started researching the topic on the Web, but
haven't made much headway yet. The sources I was directed to are
listed below.  I am trying to write a paper for a preservation and
conservation class at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA).  At
some point in the future I hope to re-write the paper and publish
it.

I am willing to send a copy of the paper to anyone who is interested
or can offer additional resources.  Right now everything I will
write is based on Mr. Wilhelm's research.  This weekend I'll be
working on the paper based on the source material (below) that I've
found.  Additional material will always be appreciated.

Members on AV-Media-Matters [at] topica__com (my Professor said the people
providing the info were excellent) referred me to
<URL:http://www.wilhelm-research.com> and it has been helpful.  Mr.
Wilhelm seems to be well-known for his research on the fading of
photographs and colored inks on paper.

Also, the lead article in May 1999 issue of AIC News, "Fugitive
Modern Media" particularly the section "Conservation Implications of
Computer Generated Printing: The Ink Jet Printer" by Kathleen
Orlenko.

Basic background article:  Dieter Becker and Klaus Kasper "Digital
Prints: Technology, Materials, Image Quality and Stability" in
"Rundbrief Fotografie"--this article is in English.
<URL:http://www.foto.unibas.ch/~rundbrief/les33.htm>

The Epson "Photo Paper" Longevity Test:
<URL:http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/fade.html> I found the images of
fading on this web page to be helpful in understanding the topic.

Debbie L. Nelson
University of Wisconsin-Madison student

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 12, 1999