Subject: Paste cooker

Paste cooker

From: Laura Downey <lldowney>
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 1999
Rebecca Donnan <r-donnan [at] nga__gov> writes

> Our Tefal "cook and stir" that we use for making starch paste is
> dying. We have been told that they are no longer made

Our lab has benefited from the recent postings regarding paste
cookers by asking our department head, who was traveling to France
last week, to buy one there.  Thus I can now offer our recent
experience of it, although the story is so far incomplete since we
have not yet acquired the necessary transformer.  However, I can
tell you that the bowl size is similar to the old "Cook & Stir" but
the handle is different and the base is much larger, including a
digital read-out and timer.  Heat settings apparently are still by
number rather than by actual temperature, ranging from 0-5 (0 being
no heat, 5 the highest setting.)  Our head said he was surprised to
find there was no selection, this being the only color and model to
be had.  Cost was approximately $80, and the color is dark purple.
(Opinions vary within the lab as to whether it is ugly or chic.)  If
there is further interest, I can report later on our upcoming
adventures locating a transformer.

Laura Downey
Mellon Fellow
George Eastman House