Subject: Phonograph discs

Phonograph discs

From: Jim Lindner <jim>
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 1999
Linda A. Strauss <lstrauss [at] autry-museum__org> writes

>We have recently received a potential donation of unlabeled demo
>phonograph records. There was no documentation with them to tell us
>what is recorded on them. Our museum's policy has been never to play
>records but in this case, we will not be able to tell if we should
>accession them if we don't know what is on them. Is there anyone on
>the list who has had experience with acetate and/or vinyl 78 rpm
>phonograph records who can tell us what is the safest thing to do.

We have extensive experience with these disks, and we do transfer
them for many customers.  Referring to the records as "demo" makes
me wonder if these are transcription disks which are original first
generation recordings.  If they are, they need to be properly
handled because use of improper styli and tracking weight can
severely damage  or even destroy them. It would be common for these
types of recordings to be unlabeled--and many of them are quite
large 16" in diameter and can be on aluminum or glass. If they are
acetate or vinyl they could also be test pressings. In any event
they do need special care and handling.

Jim Lindner
President
VidiPax
The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services Company

                Distributed: Thursday, December 2, 1999