Subject: Conservation of outdoor public art

Conservation of outdoor public art

From: Laurie Booth <mwestcons>
Date: Wednesday, November 24, 1999
Sandra Lougheed inquired about other agencies managing outdoor
public art collections.  One agency that may be of interest is the
Sculpture Center in Cleveland, Ohio.  While a private enterprise
(not-for-profit, I believe) the Sculpture Center manages the
conservation and maintenance of outdoor sculptures that are owned by
many different agencies in the Cleveland area. They manage the
bidding procedure for the treatment of pieces, supervise the
treatments, and have recruited volunteers to assist with the
maintenance of the various outdoor pieces in their care.  In
addition, they manage the SOS outdoor sculpture inventory database
for the state of Ohio, which is online at
<URL:http://sculpturecenter.org/>.  I suggest you contact Bill
Jirousek, Director of the Sculpture Center. I would be happy to give
you his phone number if you wish to contact me directly, or you can
reach them via their web site. Good luck with your project,

Laurie Booth
President/Objects Conservator
Midwest Conservation Services, Inc.

                Distributed: Thursday, December 2, 1999