Subject: Paintings on glass

Paintings on glass

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Wednesday, November 24, 1999
Gary Saretzky <saretzky [at] rci__rutgers__edu> writes

>A colleague has miniature painted portraits on glass in cases
>similar to those used for daguerreotype, ca. 1850, with flakes of
>paint separated from the glass.  Does anyone have a recommendation
>for readhering them?  In case it matters, the images are colored and
>the glass is flat.

This is a very complex problem, depending on the pigments and the
type and condition of the glass.  We have conducted a number of
experiments in my lab or this and I have published an article with a
summary of other treatments by other conservators and the durability
of the methods in Studies in Conservation.  If you would like a copy
send me a stamped self-addressed envelope ($2 US in postage) and
I'll send you a copy.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief COnservator
Conservation Art Service