Subject: Phonograph discs

Phonograph discs

From: Linda A. Strauss <lstrauss>
Date: Friday, November 19, 1999
We have recently received a potential donation of unlabeled demo
phonograph records. There was no documentation with them to tell us
what is recorded on them. Our museum's policy has been never to play
records but in this case, we will not be able to tell if we should
accession them if we don't know what is on them. Is there anyone on
the list who has had experience with acetate and/or vinyl 78 rpm
phonograph records who can tell us what is the safest thing to do.
Can we play them once and record them?  Or, is there some audio
conservator who has the proper equipment to do this for us?

Linda A. Strauss
Chief Conservator
Autry Museum of Western Heritage
4700 Western Heritage Way