Subject: Bluing

Bluing

From: Thomas Braun <tbraun150>
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 1999
Brad Epley <bepley [at] neosoft__com> writes

>I am currently researching some of the paints used on objects in our
>collection of Northwest Coast Native Art.  I have come across a
>reference for a laundry bluing, specifically Reckett's Ltd., which
>was apparently distributed by British soldiers in the late
>nineteenth century.  I am looking for information regarding what
>particular pigment the laundry bluing may be (Prussian blue,
>indigo?) and if anyone has tips for its identification with
>transmitted light microscopy or microchemical testing.

Have you found the ICOM article on laundry bluing by Dr. Nancy
Odegaard and Matthew Crawford?  It can be found in ICOM 11th
Triennial Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1-6 September 1996,
Preprints Volume II, pp. 634-638.  The article discuses some
manufacturers, in addition to typical pigments, dyes and binders.

The Spot-test book by Dr. Odegaard and Scott Carrol et. al. (due out
in the near future by Archetype) discusses a number of tests that
could help you identify laundry bluing.

Tom Braun
Director of Conservation
USACE