Subject: Planar distortion of canvas

Planar distortion of canvas

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Thursday, November 18, 1999
Lalit Kumar <lalitkumar88 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>... I would like to stretch the canvas in humid condition and
>then impregnate the canvas with a suitable mixture to make it
>insensitive to humidity. Any advise for the suitable impregnating
>material is solicited. In India Wax-resin mixture is commonly used.

Wax-resin is still widely used in situations where relative humidity
cannot be controlled and planar distortion is a problem.  Research
by Gerry Hedley has shown that wax-impregnated linen is buffered
from changes in relative humidity the same way it can be buffered by
being enclosed in Plexiglas. Wax-resin also is an excellent
protectant against liquid water.

Barbara Appelbaum

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 23, 1999