Subject: Fixing

Fixing

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Thursday, November 18, 1999
Madhavi Singh <dharohar99 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>To fix the red pigment I have tried polyvinyl acetate resin in
>toluene; it is doing its job but also giving its stain at the back
>of paper.

In regard to the problem of fixing water-soluble colors without
staining, I have used ethyl cellulose from Hercules Chemical
Company.  It is virtually unnoticeable on matte materials, and keeps
out liquid water.  I used it on a painted Egyptian shroud on
extremely wrinkled linen.  The black ran in water and ethyl
cellulose allowed me to use heat after wetting the linen without any
loss of black.

Barbara Appelbaum

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 23, 1999