Subject: Deteriorating folder stock

Deteriorating folder stock

From: Susan Lunas <slunas>
Date: Saturday, November 13, 1999
I am currently making "wrappers" for a collection of bound
manuscripts dating from the mid 1600's to the mid 1900's.  Most of
these volumes will never, *ever*, be opened again, because most of
these volumes seem to have absolutely little research value.  We
simply wrap, catalogue, and shelve. Because no one will probably
ever use these volumes we chose buffered folder stock as the
wrapping material.  Which brings me to the problem: When abraded the
folder stock peels, one area that peeled is 4 X 7 inches, though
most peels are 1/2 x 1/2inch.  In addition, the tan document boxes
made from .060 lignin- and sulfur-free board exhibit similar peeling
tendencies along the bottom edges (where the box contacts the
surface of the shelving).  In contrast, the gray document boxes
which my colleague has used for several years, show no sign of
peeling, let alone any wear.  Has anyone else has encountered this
problem with the folder stock?

Susan Lunas
Book Conservator
Eatontown, New Jersey

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1999