Subject: Removing pressure sensitive tapes from textiles

Removing pressure sensitive tapes from textiles

From: Sarah Cartmell <sarah>
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 1999
I am studying textile conservation at the Textile Conservation
Center, Winchester, England. I am presently in the third year of the
course. My present project is concerned with investigating methods
of removing pressure sensitive adhesive tapes from textiles. I am
not testing the effectiveness of solvents. The research is focusing
on the removal of 'Sellotape Original' from textiles.

I am writing to the conservation discussion list to ask textile
conservators if they have had any experience in removing Sellotape
from textiles. If so, to what kind of textile was the tape attached?
What condition was the textile in? What method was used to remove
the tape carrier and/ or adhesive? Which solvent (if any) was used
to remove the tape carrier and/ or adhesive? Do you feel the
treatment was successful?

Sarah Cartmell
12 Candahar Road
London SW11 2QB
+44 171 228 2690
+44 7957 407753

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1999