Subject: Bluing

Bluing

From: Christine Cheffins <chepstowmuesum>
Date: Monday, November 15, 1999
Brad Epley <bepley [at] neosoft__com> writes

>I am currently researching some of the paints used on objects in our
>collection of Northwest Coast Native Art.  I have come across a
>reference for a laundry bluing, specifically Reckett's Ltd., which
>was apparently distributed by British soldiers in the late
>nineteenth century.  I am looking for information regarding what
>particular pigment the laundry bluing may be (Prussian blue,
>indigo?) and if anyone has tips for its identification with
>transmitted light microscopy or microchemical testing.

>From the 1830's on it was synthetic ultramarine and before that
smalt.  Synthetic ultramarine decolours with acids.  Frank Davis at
Holliday Pigments, Kingston upon Hull, England was very helpful when
I was recently researching pigments used in drafting cloth.  Their
Fax: 44-01482-223114

Christine Cheffins, Conservator

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1999