Subject: Gore-Tex

Gore-Tex

From: Camille Myers Breeze <camille>
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 1999
Elizabeth Jablonski <ejablonski [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am researching Gore-Tex for use in the reduction of planar
>distortion of paintings and paper.  I have discovered that there are
>many types of Gore-Tex fabric available.  Can anyone recommend a
>specific type to use in conservation?

I have used Gore-tex that is laminated onto polyester felt to remove
planar distortions in textiles. Although I prefer to use the felt
side up, to prevent water molecules from consolidating underneath
against the textile, I know other textile conservators who prefer to
put the felt side against the textile, I think to act as a diffuser
for the water molecules. I also find that the polyester fibers can
remain behind if I place the felt against some textiles. Depending
on the amount of water control required (i.e. if I am humidifying
prior to wet cleaning, vs. delicately rehydrating a fragile piece) I
may choose to moisten a sheet of blotter paper and place it on top
of the Gore-Tex, rather than spraying water directly onto the felt.
Blotter paper will visually indicate when it is evenly wet, where as
spraying the felt directly requires is more guess work.

Camille Myers Breeze
Museum Textile Services
5 Moraine Street
Andover, MA 01810

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 17, 1999