Subject: Surfactants for synthetic fibers

Surfactants for synthetic fibers

From: Rebecca Tinkham <rtinkham>
Date: Thursday, November 11, 1999
    author.

I am a textile conservation graduate student at the University of
Alberta. I am interested in the effectiveness of different
surfactants for wet cleaning objects made from synthetic fibers or
blends under the mild conditions of conservation wet cleaning
techniques.  In order to better focus my research, I would like to
get feedback from conservators regarding their experience with
synthetic fibers and surfactants.

I have seven brief questions to respond to.  Any additional
information that you feel is pertinent would also be appreciated.

    1.  What types of synthetic fibers or blends have you treated?

    2.  What kind of soiling is most common on these objects?

    3.  What cleaning method do you use most for synthetics or
        blend? (wet cleaning, dry cleaning, spot cleaning, other)

    4.  What type or brand of surfactant do you commonly use when
    wet cleaning?

    5.  Do you use a different product if wet cleaning synthetics or
        blends? If so, which one?

    6.  Have you been satisfied with the level of stain and soil
        removal? Have you had problems with soil redeposition?

    7.  What types of synthetic fibers or blends and soiling have
        been the most problematic?

Rebecca Tinkham
University of Alberta
301 Human Ecology Building