Subject: Fire suppression

Fire suppression

From: Tony Clarke <tonyc>
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 1999
Te Papa is in the process of building a storage room for a large and
important stamp collection. Can anybody recommend a published
reference on suitable fire protection for philatelic collections?

At present a gas system has been installed together with a sprinkler
system  (sprinklers were not part of the original plan).   To remove
the sprinklers now will be very costly but may be necessary.

I understand the adhesive surface on stamps to be a very significant
part of the object, damage to the adhesive is not reversible
therefore,  I am not in favour of sprinklers or plumbing within this
area as it presents a potential threat to adhesives.

I would add I am in favour of sprinklers in other areas, and all
other areas within the museum and storage areas are sprinklered.

Tony Clarke
Preventive Conservator
Te Papa
Museum of New Zealand