Subject: Cat carcass

Cat carcass

From: Ian Gale-Sinex <rigale>
Date: Monday, November 8, 1999
I am writing on behalf of a colleague not on the list.  She is
working on an art piece that includes the carcass of a cat that died
fifteen to twenty years ago.  It remained under a porch in Wisconsin
(cold winters, hot summers) and is now quite dessicated.  It has no
fur.  Only skin remains on the skeleton.

She is wondering how to go about safely cleaning it for display.  I
recommended using vinyl or latex gloves, dust mask, and Tyvek suit
for starters, all to be properly discarded when the cleaning is
finished.  I don't believe she has access to a vacuum with a HEPA
filter.  Any ideas on this one?  Am I being too cautious regarding
the health and safety issue here?

    **** Moderator's comments: You might take a look at CCI's
    Recommendations for Handling Potential Biohazards
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/cci/bodfluid.html>
    in Conservation OnLine

Ian Gale
Gale-Sinex Restorations, Ltd.