Subject: Bluing

Bluing

From: Brad Epley <bepley>
Date: Friday, November 12, 1999
I am currently researching some of the paints used on objects in our
collection of Northwest Coast Native Art.  I have come across a
reference for a laundry bluing, specifically Reckett's Ltd., which
was apparently distributed by British soldiers in the late
nineteenth century.  I am looking for information regarding what
particular pigment the laundry bluing may be (Prussian blue,
indigo?) and if anyone has tips for its identification with
transmitted light microscopy or microchemical testing.

Brad Epley
Assistant Paintings Conservator
The Menil Collection

                 Distributed: Friday, November 12, 1999