Subject: Oil stains on paper

Oil stains on paper

From: Gry Landro <grylandro>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999
I am training as a paper conservator at the Nasjonalgalleriet in
Oslo and have recently started working on my thesis. The objects on
which the thesis is based are two Italian masterdrawings from the
sixteenth-and eighteenth century, both of which are heavily stained
with oil. My main objectives are to find out about different kinds
of drying oils (chemical properties and composition) and the
possibilities for removal of oil stains from paper, testing
different agents and methods. Any information, i.e. on literature
and treatment experiences, will be greatly appreciated.

Gry Landro
Nasjonalgalleriet
Universitetsgaten 13
Postboks 8157 - Dep.