Subject: Fixing

Fixing

From: Madhavi Singh <dharohar99>
Date: Monday, November 1, 1999
I am restoring a book on Asian Carpets, XVI & XVII century designs
from the Jaipur Palaces, Printed at London by W. Griggs,
Chromo-Lithographer to the King, in the year 1905. It consists of
coloured plates of which the red pigment is very fugitive in aqueous
medium. I want to treat this with aqueous method of deacidification.
To fix the red pigment I have tried polyvinyl acetate resin in
toluene; it is doing its job but also giving its stain at the back
of paper. So I not convinced. Can somebody tell me how I can fix the
red pigment? Or suggest some readable matter in this regard?

Madhavi Singh
Private Art Conservator
Dharohar, Art Conservation Centre,
30, Ravindra Garden, Aliganj,