Subject: Conservation supplies in Boston

Conservation supplies in Boston

From: Barbara Sagraves <Barbara.Sagraves>
Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999
I was asked by readers of the DistList who could not attend the
recent ACRL/New England Preservation/Conservation Interest Group
Fall Meeting if I would supply a list of the places we visited in
Boston.  Here is the list as well as a few other stores that are of
interest.  Inclusion or exclusion from the list should not be viewed
as an endorsement or rejection by ACRL New England.

The stores in the first half of the list may be reached by traveling
the Red Line on the MTA to the given stop and then walking to the
street address.

    Red Line: Central Station Exit
    Pearl Art & Craft Supplies
    579 Massachusetts Ave
    Cambridge, MA
    617-547-6600
    (great for brushes and obscure small tools)

    Red Line: South Station Exit
    Berman Leather Company
    229 A Street
    Boston, MA  02210-1309
    (leather tools)

    Harcourt Bindery Inc.
    51 Melcher Street
    Boston, MA  02210
    617-542-5858
    Fax: 617-451-9058
    info [at] harcourtbindery__com
    <URL:http://www.harcourtbindery.com/>
    Retail sales at the Bindery from 1-4 PM Monday - Friday or,
    preferably, by appointment.
    (Japanese bookbinding cloths, newly imported papers, and the
    Griffin Mills Hand-made Papers )

    Red Line: Charles St. Station Exit
    Rugg Road Paper Co.
    105 Charles St.
    Boston, MA  02114
    617-742-0002
    Fax: 617-742-0008
    (decorative and bookbinding papers from around the world),

Places not visited but accessible by train

    Johnson Paint Co., Inc.
    355 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA  02115
    617-536-4244
    617-536-8832 (fax)
    <URL:http://www.johnsonpaint.com>
    (extensive collection of brushes and artists' supplies; near the
    corner of Newbury and Mass. Ave.)

    Lee S. McDonald Inc.
    523 Medford Street
    Charlestown, MA
    617-242-2505
    (papermaking supplies including felts.  This is a warehouse
    rather than retail space. )

    Paper Source
    1810 Massachusetts Ave
    Cambridge, MA
    617-497-1077
    (specialty papers)

(Special thanks to Nancy Schrock, Harvard College Library for
identifying the stores.)

Barb Sagraves
ACRL/New England / Preservation-Conservation Interest Group co-chair

                 Distributed: Tuesday, November 2, 1999