Subject: Color systems

Color systems

From: Timothy Vitale <tjvitale>
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 1999
Martin Juergens <9mcj [at] qlink__queensu__ca> writes

>In the search for an accurate, repeatable, internationally accepted,
>and standardized color system for the technical description of the
>color of an object that is being examined and treated, I have come
>across a number of color systems, each of which seems to have its
>own advantages and disadvantages.

Several companies are now selling spectrophotometers that are
connected to software for about $700-1300.  Matching with Munsell
and Pantone is fine, but if one wants accuracy use an instrument
which can be calibrated to a standard. Years ago (ca. 1985) Minolta
had colorimeters for $5-7K that were the precursors to this new LED
technology.

X-Rite has the Digital Swatchbook for $1300 which is a
spectrophotometer which also outputs in Lab, Lch and XYZ values as
well as others.  Go to:
<URL:http://www.xrite.com/products/product.asp?id=54>.

Color Savvy has a $700 LED spectrophotometer which is also a
densitometer and also outputs in Lab, Lch & XYZ.  Go to:
<URL:http://st3.yahoo.com/colorsavvy/spectro.html>

Gretag-MacBeth also has a portable spectrophotometer but I'm not
familiar with it.  I believe it is more expensive.

Tim Vitale

                 Distributed: Tuesday, November 2, 1999