Subject: Salts in archaeological textiles

Salts in archaeological textiles

From: Glennda Susan Marsh-Letts <g.marshletts>
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 1999
    author.

I have been investigating Ancient Egyptian Linen since 1997, and am
now completing a Ph.D. at the University of Western Sydney, Nepean,
(Sydney, Australia) on new methods for the examination and treatment
of archaeological textiles. I have worked closely with the Nicholson
Museum of Antiquities at the University of Sydney and the Museum of
Ancient Cultures at Macquarie University (Sydney), as well as
gaining valuable field experience in Egypt with Macquarie
University's excavations at Helwan (Cairo), directed by Dr.
Christiana Kohler. I am concentrating on Egyptian linen from salt
affected archaeological sites, and so would welcome any feedback
from conservators or archaeologists who have salt affected objects
which need examination and/or treatment.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 20, 1999