Subject: Horn

Horn

From: Gille Schofield <gille.schofield>
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 1999
I have a snuff-box made of horn in my care.  It reacts badly to any
changes in the atmosphere and as a result has started to laminate
slightly on its base.  Around the side (it is a round and flat box
with a fixed revolving lid) two cracks have appeared on opposite
sides to each other and the whole box is warping due to this.  Can
anyone suggest what I can do to A) stop it from warping further, and
B) close the cracks.  I should add that this is for a private client
who expects me to "restore" the box i.e. repair so that the cracks
are no longer there and glue them so they don't reappear.  I realise
there are too many hazards to treating this material and I would
welcome any help available.

Gille Schofield
Private Conservator
Edinburgh

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 20, 1999