Subject: Trophies

Trophies

From: Vanessa Roth <vanessaroth>
Date: Sunday, October 17, 1999
I have been asked to treat a collection of trophies.  The trophies
are displayed in a highly salty atmosphere and there is not funding
for an airconditioning filtration system.  The trophies are silver
plate (mostly EPNS) and many have recently been re-silvered.
Unfortunately the salts were not removed prior to re-silvering, and
the trophies are rapidly corroding and the replating is lifting.  I
would like to remove the replating, but when I spoke to a replater I
was told that this would only be possible by buffing (presumably
removing some of the original silver).  He also said that I would be
better off to have the trophies replated once more.  Any suggestions
for removing the chlorides or the replating and reducing chloride
attack would be appreciated.

Vanessa Roth
Conservator
International Conservation Services

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 20, 1999