Subject: Vibration

Vibration

From: Marilyn Fox <marilyn.fox>
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 1999
A recent posting regarding vibration has prompted my question also.
Are any of you aware of papers regarding the effects of construction
vibration on objects?  Construction will soon be underway on the
building adjacent to our fossil hall.  There is a seismologist
present, but most of her experience is construction related, and I
am concerned that the standards for building damage may not be the
same as those for fragile fossils. Jackhammering tests have shown no
evidence of damage, but my experience is limited in regard to how
vibration flows through objects.

Marilyn Fox
Preparator, Division of Vertebrate Paleontology
Peabody Museum of Natural History
Yale University
170 Whitney Avenue
New Haven CT USA 06520