Subject: Fabric for displaying metals

Fabric for displaying metals

From: Katy Untch <kuntch>
Date: Friday, October 8, 1999
Okay, here's a weird collegial request to "save me"!  We're trying
to keep with an exhibition schedule for a permanent gallery
installation that will contain a variety of materials, including
metal objects.  We tested fabrics selected by our designers and
curator, but this time none of them tested well.  We should have
ordered fabric already so I'm looking for a quick solution here.

I was wondering if anyone has tested and ordered a fabric very
recently that would be appropriate for long term metals display, and
has the appearance of a slightly glossy cream to buff colored
linen-looking fabric.  Doesn't every lab keep a log of fabric tests
with visual samples and manufacturer and distributor sources?  If
you can help me, could you let me know what fabric(s) might fit the
bill and where you ordered it from?  I know this must sound crazy,
but our backs are kind of against the wall.  I know you'll
understand that we don't always have control over schedules, etc.
Also, I would appreciate it if, for the time being, we forgo the
discussions on how to test fabrics, what fibers are best, what dyes
to avoid, or how one should handle exhibition management.  Of course
if that's what you'd like to discuss, please be my guest, but what I
need most right now is an actual fabric, and quick.  I hope this
will work.  Call me crazy. I'm sure I am.

(Katy's last words of wisdom: Never trust anything you do late on a
Friday afternoon before a three day weekend.)

Katharine Untch

                  Distributed: Friday, October 8, 1999