Subject: Window films

Window films

From: Melissa Heaver <melissa_heaver>
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 1999
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] idt__net>

>I am looking for people with recent experiences using adhesive
>light-filtering films applied to windows.

At the National Trust, we advise our 20 historic sites *not* to use
adhesive-backed window films on historic glass. In the past, we have
had disastrous results trying to remove said film. Over time, the
adhesive seems to become more difficult to remove, and we have
broken some old window panes trying to take it off. Instead, we now
advise using roller blinds, which install easily, with little damage
to historic window fabric. The "bar" at the bottom can be painted to
match woodwork, so it blends in. In some instances, we even work the
shades into the tour, talking about preservation of artifacts, why
we have shades, and what other measures are taken at the site that
can be adopted for home use.

I am also associated with an antique fire apparatus museum near
where I live in Baltimore, and we hired our maintenance technician
to install adhesive-backed filtering material to modern glass on
big, overhead garage doors. As a result, I would never advise anyone
to do it themselves-hire a professional! Unless you have an
extremely keen eye, steady hand, and are good at taking extremely
accurate measurements, you can tell where the film is, and where it
isn't. It is also difficult to get the "bubbles" out if the film is
not applied accurately. (I use cold mount adhesive for mounting
repro photos on Fome-Cor for exhibits, and it is a positively easy
experience in comparison to installing window film!)

If you need more info., contact me off-list.

Melissa Heaver
Director-Museum Collections
National Trust for Historic Preservation
202-588-6148
Fax: 202-588-6232

                  Distributed: Friday, October 8, 1999