Subject: Framing Chinese paintings on paper

Framing Chinese paintings on paper

From: Ian Fraser <ian.fraser>
Date: Friday, October 1, 1999
I have a number of Chinese paintings on rice paper, given to me by
the artist Professor Qui Enhong (Zhong Yuan Painting and Calligraphy
Academy, Taian City P.R.C.) and I want to do them justice and frame
them up to preserve and display them.  Two priorities really, and I
would very much appreciate anyone's advice;

The first is what techniques and materials are used in framing
Chinese paintings; The second is if any of the traditional
techniques and materials are questionable from a conservation point
of view, what alternatives are there which would still give the
appearance of traditional Chinese framing.

Ian Fraser

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 5, 1999